Sunday, January 20, 2013

The sanctity of life....

Today at our church, it was "sanctity of life" Sunday. My church collected a love offering for 2 hearts pregnancy center, and our pastor gave a sermon about the sanctity of life. See, over 50 million babies have been aborted since the passage of Roe v. Wade. It's the combined population of 25 of the United States. Wow, that's a lot of babies. Our pastor spent time today talking about life, and how God views life. He called the babies "preborn" instead of "unborn". I really like that.
He read the scripture that I've read many times that says "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. (Jeremiah 1:5 KJV)" but he talked about the word know. Christ actually intimately knows us, even in the womb. That really spoke to me. Thinking about Christ knowing us from the very second we are conceived.
I am glad that we participated in sanctity of life Sunday, but it saddens me so much that we need that day. In such a "civilized" society, with so much technology, it makes me sad to think we need a day to set aside to remember to preserve life. Watch any commercial for pregnancy tests. It says find out 2,3,4,5 days sooner if you're pregnant. We can practically find out at the moment of conception, and yet we argue over when life begins. I choose to believe that God knows them, a real person, preborn in the womb from the moment they are conceived.
See, I know what it's like to hold tiny miracles that some would consider, not yet a baby, the "preborn". I sat in the NICU beside babies born at 24 weeks. I would dare anyone to tell those parents that it was not yet a life. A family in our community had twins at just around 24 weeks just this week. One precious baby didn't make it, and they had a funeral. I'm sure they could testify that although it was a short life, it was a precious life indeed.
As some of you may know, before the boys were born, Jamie and I suffered a miscarriage. It was very early in the pregnancy, but I assure you that it was devastating to us. It was a life, known to God, us, and our families.
So, today and always, I celebrate the sanctity of life, but in my heart I will be saddened by the loss of those preborn babies that were taken too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment