Monday, May 14, 2012

Bliss!!

So, I've been a little busy taking care of Hannah and recuperating, so I've missed some very important blogs.  I'll do my best to catch up today.

First of all, I must admit I was a little nervous about the birth of our baby girl.  As I recall, I had a real struggle after the boys were born.  However, this was such a different experience entirely.  I couldn't have asked for things to go any better on delivery day.  I was prepped and ready to go in less than an hour.  She came out screaming like I'd never heard before.  It was music to my ears.  When the boys arrived, they had such a pitiful weak cry.  I knew from the second I heard them that I had a long road of recovery in front of me.  But Miss Hannah, no, she made sure that everyone knew her lungs were perfectly healthy.  She came out loud enough to be a cheerleader.  It was truly amazing.

While they were finishing sewing me back up, the NICU nurse came in to tell me that her blood sugar was low, and that they were worried about her.  She needed to eat immediately to get it up, or they were going to put her in the NICU to give her some nutrition to get the blood sugar up.  I had my heart set to nurse, so I was a little sad that her first feeding would be a bottle, and nearly heartbroken that she could end up in the NICU.  She said if they finished in time, I could try to nurse her.  Sure enough, they finished just in time, and Hannah was brought to me after just a few minutes and we had our first feeding.  Her blood sugar went up, and all was right in the world again.   It was so nice to be in the room, just Hannah, Jamie and me.  I got to be the first to really "check her out".  With the boys, it was really days later when I got to see everything in person and commit their little features to memory.

Now, I must admit, not everything has been perfect since the delivery.  We still had some blood sugar issues.  Apparently that is a problem with chubby babies, and she certainly has some chubby cheeks.  We ended up getting a bottle after all, and now that she has had the ease of a bottle she no longer wants to nurse.  She is such a lazy bones ;)  In the scheme of things, that is nothing.  We had a little scare with a heart murmur, but all of that appears to be resolving too.

I was worried about how the boys would react to her, but they are truly smitten with her.  She is so loved and they are adjusting to having her here perfectly.  I really thought the newness would have worn off by now, but they are still loving her and begging to hold her.

I can honestly say that this was just bliss, no other word to describe it.  All the worries that I had were in vain.  She is perfect and her delivery was as easy as it could be.  I even got to go home in about 48 hours.  Unbelievable, since I had to stay for a week after the boys were born.  Hannah and I are bonding at home and enjoying some girl time.  Thanks to all those that said a prayer for us.  It worked.  She is here and God is so good!!!  Just BLISS!!
- Tonya

No comments:

Post a Comment